rsz_organ_console-00_-_san_gabriel_mission_playhouse[1]

Mission Playhouse

320 South Mission Drive
San Gabriel 91776

The San Gabriel Mission Playhouse is a magnificent and opulent theater steeped in history, complete with tapestries presented by the King of Spain, a beautifully carved and painted ceiling and chandeliers that replicate the lanterns used on Spanish galleons which sailed around the tip of South America on route to California in the 1800’s.  Dedicated on March 5th, 1927, this lavish facility was built by John Steven McGroarty for his famed Mission play.  The world-renowned production told the dramatic story of the founding of the California missions by the Franciscan Fathers under the leadership of Father Junipero Serra.  After the end of the 1932 season and an astounding 3,198 performances, the effects of the depression plus an attempt to produce it on Broadway ended the long run of the play.

The 3/17 “Style 260 Special” Wurlitzer (Opus 870), originally installed in the RKO Albee Theatre in Brooklyn, NY, came to San Gabriel in 1972.

The organ is owned by the San Gabriel Mission Playhouse.  LATOS played a key role in the installation and updating of the organ.  Today, Donn Linton (a LATOS member) plays a key role in its maintenance.

Visit the Mission Playhouse website.